First, this drama was adapted from a DARK ROMANCE novel literally entitled, "Black Moonlight Guaranteed Bad Ending Script". Please let that clue you in.

Second, on the toxicity of the ML and FL, the drama does not even compare to how cruel these characters are to each other in the novel. I do not defend toxic relationships in real life but this fictional premise is set up for the characters to hate and love in equal measures. Li Susu, who saw the annihilation of the sects and the destruction caused by Devil God, was sent back to kill evil fetus Tantai Jin. While drama Tantai Jin is more sympathetic, it doesn't remove the fact that his existence means eventual destruction. Li Susu is ruthless because their love, hate, and personal desires are secondary compared to the saving of the Three Realms.

Xianxias are influenced by the philosophies of Taoism and Buddhism thus showing concepts like Yin and Yang, severing worldly desires to attain immortality, and living in harmony with the universe.

Third, I personally thought the editing of the first quarter of the drama was on point but suffered from occasional editing issues after that due to the regulation change. However, the story was mostly intact and comprehensible.

Fourth, the acting of most of the cast is unassailable. The CGI, make-up, costumes, OST, etc. are incidentals.

Lastly, many of us here watched TTEOTM and know that it has its highs and lows. We love it because, even with its flaws, it resonates with us.

We all have the right to express our opinions but seeing a regurgitation of negative rhetoric is just disturbing. On the other hand, a healthy discussion is always welcome. Peace and love!✌️ 💕

P.S. For those who are traumatised by the drama ending, the HE chapters from the novel are in the discussion. 😂

Thank Again Micha! Well said and love your summary. Just like to add in a little of my opinion. As a lot of discussion threads have been posted on the novel, we all understand that due to various reasons a full adaptation of the novel is never possible. Furthermore screenplay has to be written in more definitive way for viewers’ easy understanding. 

This drama has done justice to the novel and have also make TTJ’s character so much pleasant. Technically he is since he is the chosen demon fetus. So his journey is tough and we all want his happy ending. But due to various restriction and edits, we are sadly given this rush ending.  But when I think through it, I am also at peace, because TTJ has become God and his self-sacrifice for greater good and people he loved, it is so honorable act and people will remember him because LSS will make sure his story will be told. They are not together in the end but they reconciled before he passed on, so this is also matured love that despite apart because of physical death, in their essence of soul, they will always be deeply connected.

People shouldn’t disregard it’s great effort being put into this on screen and we can all seen it through the drama that how much thought and such a genuine masterpiece work from actors, costume to fight scenes and CGI.

If it’s the ending, think again. How you have decided to follow through the journey and what the process and not just the end outcome. Cheers!

Very well said!  The story is essentially about how his whole life has been scripted and he can never escape his destiny that ties him to becoming the devil god.  As a novel reader, TTJ's behavior is atrocious at times and LSS was within her rights to try to stop him.  But again, in the drama he was much more sympathetic whereas LSS looked to be a much more scheming person.  I agree that it was equal love and hate.  She fell in love with someone she wasn't supposed to, but she never allowed herself to partake in that love.  I am with you on some of the comments becoming extremely negative.  His death was not pleasant to watch but it was good bc it finally ended his ties to the devil god.  As for the ending I actually thought it was hopeful.  Unfortunately they did not show the part where all the people who had died in the all distress way came back to life bc it became the way of compassion.  I remember in the novel his soul indeed was slowly pieced back together because of this, thus he was able to reincarnate.  I choose to believe his soul lives on being slowly healed within the scale.  

What great insights! Thanks Megumi! I especially agree with you about this being a journey and not just a destination. 😊

The constraints definitely affected the drama but it was a relatively good adaptation of the novel. I appreciate that the drama has given TTJ less psychotic tendencies, more dimension, and personal growth. Despite not receiving a lot of love, he himself learned to feel a gamut of emotions. Eventually, his love for LSS and her intervention allows him to break the wheel. His love now encompasses everything and he stop being a pawn by ADG and the gods. 

As for LSS, I think she has gotten the short end of the stick in the drama. As much as I love TTJ, POV really matters in storytelling and hers wasn't really shown as much. Instead some ridiculous actions inconsistent with her initial characterization kept being shown (i.e. drama YXW/LSS kept going to XL compared to novel YXW/LSS who knew to keep away from XL due to propriety, knowing the repercussions if she gets too close, and simply focusing on her mission more). Also, considering that she is the main character in the novel, it would have been nice if she had equal footing in the drama. Imagine Katniss Everdeen doing cameos in the latter part of the Hunger Games instead of being the main protagonist. While there is nothing wrong in showcasing TTJ, would it be really too much to ask for LSS to have her moments too because those are important to the story? 

For instance, the death of TTJ was not the end of the BE in the novel, LSS actually had to go to the Path of Compassion, use divine objects, and see it transform before all beings could come back alive again. It was then they realized the immensity of the sacrifice of TTJ and LSS' will to save the realms. She also kept on protecting the demon realm for TTJ. These scenes would have made the ending more meaningful and acceptable but alas, the ending was rushed for already known reasons. 

For those afraid of the ending don't be. It isn't sunshine and rainbows but it is a necessary closure. It caused so much tears and anguish but it has so many interpretations. I will stick to a hopeful one - that TTJ's essence is in the Heart Guarding Scale and after hundreds of years, he will be alive and reunite with his family so they can finally go home. 

This drama has been a heck of an emotional journey but I wouldn't miss it for the world - not just because of the drama but for this wonderful community that we have built here. 💕 

Great to hear your thoughts @oceanstarjp! 

I totally agree with you on the drama ending needing to show the change to the Way of Compassion. How beautiful and meaningful it would have been to show the effect of TTJ and LSS' efforts - nature blooming and thriving, all the slain immortal disciples, humans and demons coming back to life - 

the magnititude of which preserves the current generation (however undeserving some may be) and gives way to a new generation as can be seen 500 years later. I will stick to the message of absolution, renewal and hope. 

Love your sharing! As we all know TTEOTM was the first XianXia being a victim of new regulations and restriction by C govern. It’s unfortunate that some small parts of the drama if being treated wisely, it will have been perfect. But I guess with so many things to juggle and balance with, the production team already done their best.

Personally I have never been so invested in watching and following the commentary of a XianXia. I watched many in the past, seldom comment and or often I dropped the show as it gets too boring or draggy. This is my first major involvement and still lingering here even it’s over. You are spot on to mention that we have a great pool of commenters here that contributed to the whole watching experience. It’s really been so much fun and I cherished everyone’s contribution. Cheers!

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recently saw that they cut off what happened after the Mohe River scene with her daughter.  The scale is something she always carried with her bc TTJ's soul is indeed in it.  She and her daughter return to Hengyang Sect where they live.  LSS falls asleep and Tantai Zimi takes the scale that LSS is always holding and goes to the chessboard that Zhaoyou and LSS's father played.  She places the scale on the board when she gets tired and it disappears.  When she looks up, she sees a man smiling and asks who he is.  He in turn asks who she is and she answers Tantai Zimi.  TTJ thinks for a moment, "Tantai Zimi?  She looks like me.  LSS, I will see you soon."  Then he sees how tired his daughter is and asks if she wants to be carried on his back.  The rolls her eyes thinking and he notices her being cute and a little bit of her mischievous "evil" look and he smiles.  She agrees and he carries her back.  Why on earth that cut that is beyond me!  This would have satisfied so many people lol.  It could totally be a special episode if they wanted lol.  But regardless I was happy when i saw this bc it proves that yes, his soul is indeed in the scale and she is waiting for his return.  

What's up with MDL? It's not allowing me to quote anyone. 

@oceanstarjp 

OMG! WHY WOULD THEY DELETE THESE SCENES? 

The drama team must be going through something and they want us sad along with them. LOL!

These would have been enough to assuage people.

Micha101:

What's up with MDL? It's not allowing me to quote anyone. 😅

@oceanstarjp 

OMG! WHY WOULD THEY DELETE THESE SCENES? 

The drama team must be going through something and they want us sad along with them. LOL! 🤣🤣🤣

These would have been enough to assuage people. 

My thoughts exactly!  Like every scene that would have tied all the story lines were cut.  It feels a bit unfinished to be honest but what can we do?  I wonder how the Chinese netizens feel about that ending?  Honestly, I would have preferred the two seasons.  I could have waited the few months in between for better storytelling in the end.  

Wow! @oceanstarjp, thanks for sharing. Totally agreed with you. That will be a complete and satisfactory ending. It will closed the story nicely. It can be just a few minutes, like you both, I wonder why can’t they have this in???!!! I don’t mind waiting 6 months for season 2 too and have more episodes with a more complete story. I heard some commenters saying that because the team wants to fully used the current hype and spotlight at the moment, hence they decided to just cut it to 40ep. and not take the risk of 6 months for season 2. , It is the risk they are not willing to take and fear the viewers will lose interest of the story as there are a lot of other supposingly big production XianXia line up. Sigh! I will wait for 6 months for it too. And I wonder will they release this final scenes as a short clip? But so far no news yet.

oceanstarjp:

My thoughts exactly!  Like every scene that would have tied all the story lines were cut.  It feels a bit unfinished to be honest but what can we do?  I wonder how the Chinese netizens feel about that ending?  Honestly, I would have preferred the two seasons.  I could have waited the few months in between for better storytelling in the end.  

Yeah too bad really. This is probably the only Cdrama that I want to have more than 40 episodes just because of how epic the story is and deserving to be told more. 

In hindsight, it would have been better if they made the 40 eps until the beginning of the ADG and TTJ battle, leave it on a cliffhanger then resume after three months for another 16 or so episodes, finish the loose ends and include the HE chapters  this time. 

Look at The Glory. The second part was an even bigger hit than the first one. The interest of the people didn't wane at all. 

Love your summary Micha! And thank you @oceanstarjp and megumi-h for sharing your thoughts. 

I simply loved this drama…again my first xianxia that I watched while on air and actively followed the comments here! I tried to view the novel and drama as two separate entities and that helped in accepting the inconsistencies . I just loved the CP and the hard work they all put in creating such a beautiful piece. The entire premise didn’t bode too well for a happy ending and was more about their respective growths and a love bigger than themselves. 

But yes I also would have been chuffed if they’d shown  us those extra few minutes of TTJ finding his way back to his girls 😍

It's personal ramblings, right? I want to write here the thoughts and feelings that came up as I rewatch/rewatched/am rewatching the series...

Despite everything that Tantai Jin endured, whether it was deserved or not, whether he was dead in the end or not, the fact that he still saved everyone and gave them the best chance to live is still the best ending he could possibly have. Yes, he deserved to be with his wife and daughter, but what if his life was supposed to simply end there, and end just like that? Is it still a bad ending for him? His look of contentment and peace at the final moments of his life says it wasn't. He did what he set out to do, and did it well. He defied his destiny of being the greatest curse on humanity, and instead became the biggest blessing and the savior of the realms. Susu couldn't have broken through the Heartless Way and became a goddess if not for his selflessness, so even if she did give him the deathblow, he is still the savior of the world because he allowed her to. That for me made Tantai Jin the most memorable and unforgettable hero I have ever watched and read about in fiction. 

It should have been impossible for him to have become who he was at the end, given his beginnings. Anybody else could have succumbed to the pain and the sorrows that he endured since the moment he was born on this world. I wouldn't even blame him for becoming the Devil God because of them. But what happened? Because of that glimmer of light that Susu gave him, he endured and became better. Like he said, "Even if the love I received is not much, but I didn't receive nothing." That small piece of love that was given to him became the brightest diamond that lit up his life.

(end of part 1 rambling... I just wanted to get this off my chest because it's been heavy ever since the series ended...)

Beautifully said! Thanks for sharing @charleymiamore 😊 

"Love is Light, that enlightens those who give and receive it.Love is power, because it multiplies the best we have, and allows humanity not to be extinguished in their blind selfishness. Love unfolds and reveals."

With LSS' intervention, Tantai Jin learned love and finally has the ability to change his fate. In the end, he chose to be the light instead of the scourge ADG wanted him to be. 

Re-watching some scenes and further reflection in TTJ’s character:

In reflection, TTJ is a “near perfect man”. If he is not born as a selected evil fetus with evil bone. TTJ is a pure and innocent child since young, he was smart, hardworking, fast-learner and has a genuine personality. As he said to LSS being CJM, “he is who he is, even when he is TTJ…” He is also so loyal to love. Hence you will noticed his cultivation skills as CJM, he improved so fast. What a charming man that only will exist in this story. 

One can say his obsession with love, but imagine he has never experienced kindness since birth. And when LSS showed him some respect, kindness and compassion; his first taste of love, and realization that he is worth living, it’s natural he can’t let go of LSS and her love and refused to be abandoned. He was fixated in searching for her. But later in his realization to end suffering, he could only sacrifice and let go of LSS because he had felt love and he is prepared to let It go. That’s his transcendence to higher cultivation. Such a perfect man!