Thanks for sharing @Megumi-H! 

Let's keep these awesome reflections coming! ?

TTJ was certainly special. It takes a lot for a person to overcome one's circumstances and go beyond it. If he wasn't the evil fetus, he and YXW/LSS could have had their happy ending even in the mortal realm. (LOLing while thinking it would have made the drama very short ?)

I have other reasons why I like the original ending cause Tantai Jin still remains the Demon King after his return to the demon realm with Susu fully accepted him after what he did and waited for him with their lil Ami and their loyal subjects welcoming him back with open arms.  It was a perfect to say that both light & dark need to co exist to achieved harmony 

Micha101:

Thanks for sharing @Megumi-H! 

Let's keep these awesome reflections coming! ?

TTJ was certainly special. It takes a lot for a person to overcome one's circumstances and go beyond it. If he wasn't the evil fetus, he and YXW/LSS could have had their happy ending even in the mortal realm. (LOLing while thinking it would have made the drama very short ?)

That would be Love is Sweet. haha!

Having seen a lot of book adaptations (coz sometimes original stories run out?) and a lot of times been disappointed in them (looking at you  Harry Potter #4, the first one ever to disappoint me), I've learned to treat the adaptation and the book as separate stories. This adaptation is unique for me because I see the drama as the story on Tantai Jin's POV, while the webnovel is the story on Li Susu's POV. The two complement each other, and the things that the drama lacks, the novel supplies, and vice versa. There really are a lot of things to be wished for in the drama, but then that's why the novel exists. 

Like the tower scene. I liked the drama's take better than the one in the novel, because it gave the characters a lot of things to talk about, explain, and feel. The novel was more devastating though, because Susu just... jumped. She never knew that Tantai Jin tried to catch her, tried to save her, futile though it was. She died believing that he loved Ye Bingchang, and had to carry that sadness all throughout the time she woke up in the immortal realm. LYX got Tantai Jin's derangement after she died spot on, though of course the novel took it further in that (TRIGGER WARNING: SUICIDAL ATTEMPT) it was implied even that he cut his wrists repeatedly in an attempt to kill himself even before he went to the Nether River. He failed because YXW's divine essence prevented him to die. (not to mention of course that he lay side by side with a decaying corpse... that was too morbid to imagine) (In addition, we were robbed of a silver-haired LYX! he looked so good in that color haha)

Definitely the end of the drama was something to be desired, but again, that's why the novel exists. But taking the drama as a whole, I think it told a complete story already, even if it ended with TTJ's death. Because that's the way life really is.... our story ends with our deaths, and hopefully we have left a legacy enough to have others take our story beyond our death.

(okay, I'm just saying this so I can cope with that ending, teehee. I join others in the misery of having such an open ended ending. I have rotten luck at picking Chinese dramas that never end satisfyingly.)

Thingnguyen62:

I have other reasons why I like the original ending cause Tantai Jin still remains the Demon King after his return to the demon realm with Susu fully accepted him after what he did and waited for him with their lil Ami and their loyal subjects welcoming him back with open arms.  It was a perfect to say that both light & dark need to co exist to achieved harmony 

not to mention he created a safe haven for demons to thrive without the prejudices of the other beings... in the novel, there were other children in the demon realm because the Barren Abyss was the safest place for them to grow up and live in... and yes, darkness needs to exist too, even if it is scary, because it is can also offer shelter from light

(I'm setting up my residence here since we're all choosing a tomb to get buried in this page, right?)

Like @Micha101 said, LSS got the shorter end of the stick. Much as this story shows Tantai Jin's growth as a mortal, devil, and god, if it was going to end that way, this story should have also shown her path towards being a goddess. If only the immortal arc was longer than 10 episodes, we should have seen her struggles about to be or not to be a goddess... adding to more angst I suppose... it should have been something that she realized herself, just like how the choice to be or not to be the Devil God was TTJ's. But the last few episodes felt like she was just forced to be a goddess just so that she could end the Devil God, and that she had to be taught by TTJ how to be a goddess, instead of her already having the benevolence befitting a god being innate and natural to her, which was exactly why TTJ let her go and become a goddess and end the Devil God.

(alright, okay, so I have a lot of complaints about the drama instead of peacefully accepting everything that happened ............ =Be like TTJ in the Heart Protecting Scale..... Be like TTJ in the Heart Protecting Scale=) 

For the tower sequence,   I like that the drama had Susu at least seen that Tantai Jin protecting her and she revealed the truth about herself and his origins.

For me, it will be radio version due to its emotional impacts with the added scenes that weren't in the book.  In the finale of the season 1:

- Gouryu finally had her moment with Tantai Jin for the 1st time where she explained the bone marrow transplant to him while he wondered who he was talking to.  Gouryu said her final words that he will have her love and from now on, he will understand both love and pain of the world since it's all too late now before she completely vanished forever.   

-Nian Muning was in shocked to see XiWu dead body in Tantai Jin arms.

-Tantai Jin begged XiWu to not leaving him alone before he broke down crying for the 1st time.

-Tantai Jin telling BingChang to shut up after blaming her misfortune onto her and forbidden her to ever mentioning XiWu name before locking her in the pit for good.

-Tantai Jin looked at the snowfall thinking she's probably still blaming him so she didn't want to comeback.  He said the same line back in episode 28 when he felt the soul extinguish nails' effects; "Ye XiWu, you are so cruel."  

-The ending of the episode changed with Tantai Jin looking gently at the acacia flowers he used to hate so much blooming after remembering his wife reassuring him she would protect him instead of him crushing the flower like in the novel.  

Wait, there's a RADIO VERSION?????

Yep, it was released last year before the drama.  its 2nd season just finished last February.  The 1st season was a major hit in its station

From what I learned along my experiences watching dramas, at times the story will be changed to suit the viewers liking (even the pet in novel was a cat could changed into a dog, hmmmm I wonder why maybe dog more suitable in the plot?)  and I have no complain because this is the writer’s work. We should just respect how these writers want the story to be. Everyone including me loves a happy ending but if everyone look deeper into the ending, isn’t that a complete/ successful/ satisfying closure where everyone is safe? A full requital for his sacrifice and there is a chance he will be back as a part of his soul was left with LSS. Sad to see the rating dropped so much after the last episode. 

The author herself is a big fan of the radio version of her work.  Not too sure about the drama version though

charleymiamore:

not to mention he created a safe haven for demons to thrive without the prejudices of the other beings... in the novel, there were other children in the demon realm because the Barren Abyss was the safest place for them to grow up and live in... and yes, darkness needs to exist too, even if it is scary, because it is can also offer shelter from light

Absolutely.  And I love how she loves him fully in the novel.  She loves every side of him including the demonic nature.  She is okay with his ruthlessness and she also keeps him and Ami in check.  I love how in the novel when he is remembering the part of him who never encountered LSS (before she went back to the past) and remembering how he died as a mortal, LSS appeared in the memory and held his hand to just be there with him while he is dying.  Also one of my favorite epilogues is when he is DG and he discovers the immortal's plan to send her back 500 years to try to remove his evil bone.  I love how he says that it requires him to have emotions.  If she has the ability, let her try to make him fall in love. LOL. 

Fiona:

From what I learned along my experiences watching dramas, at times the story will be changed to suit the viewers liking (even the pet in novel was a cat could changed into a dog, hmmmm I wonder why maybe dog more suitable in the plot?)  and I have no complain because this is the writer’s work. We should just respect how these writers want the story to be. Everyone including me loves a happy ending but if everyone look deeper into the ending, isn’t that a complete/ successful/ satisfying closure where everyone is safe? A full requital for his sacrifice and there is a chance he will be back as a part of his soul was left with LSS. Sad to see the rating dropped so much after the last episode. 

I agree.  I think part of the failure was the cut scenes.  There was failure in explaining that as he died he reversed all in distress way to where he brought the dead back to life.  His soul was also in the reversal which was why he was able to come back.  When I see the final scene I always understood it to mean that his soul is slowly being repaired and he will return.  However, I am satisfied with the end and his journey.  He could finally free himself from the terrible fate and life he had so that when he returns he is free from evil and slaughter and LSS no longer has a mission on her shoulders.  

@oceantripjp I enjoyed how the radio drama detailed more the peace both Tantai Jin & Susu achieve for the demon realm and her former sect accepting the young demons to participate in their competition during their visitation.  Listening how the OG Tantai Jin died in the flame while people cheered for his death was hard like Susu.  She rushed holding his hand as he died saying not to worry, she'll take him home

I also think at that moment, Tantai Jin realized that his other self was the one who set up the whole motion up