I hope I'm posting this thread on the right section, I made an account here yesterday. 

Anyways, I started Goodbye My Princess like a month ago and I was really enjoying it until at ep 8 or 9, I got a feedback of it from my friend and she said that she dropped it bcoz it's too tragic and I get confused about the drama. 

I have watched the drama till where ML joined the FL's grandfather tribe(?) to help them out with the upcoming war. I won't go with details bcoz I don't want to spoil it for anyone. 

The reason for this thread is regarding my curiosity towards how tragic it is? And would you recommend me to continue it? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance! 

For me it was unrelentingly tragic. A lot of people liked it though because they felt it was more realistic. 

This is a drama where tragic is woven into the plot to tell a "what if" ML isn't all rainbows and unicorns and will actually show the consequences of it. In fact, love does not conquer all nor does it erase everything.

But while it is tragic, I also think it is a beautiful story because of how dynamic and polarizing the characters are yet fate brought them together. This story wouldn't work or be unique if ML was replaced by SML or FL was replaced by SFL.

If you are willing to be persuaded that whether happy or sad, the ending should fit the narrative that is being layered on by development in characters and plot, then I say it's really worth it. 

Schmetterling:

For me it was unrelentingly tragic. A lot of people liked it though because they felt it was more realistic. 

I don't know if I want to continue it now. I was loving it but judging from your words, it sounds like it'll make me cry bucket of tears.

TofueToffee:

This is a drama where tragic is woven into the plot to tell a "what if" ML isn't all rainbows and unicorns and will actually show the consequences of it. In fact, love does not conquer all nor does it erase everything.

But while it is tragic, I also think it is a beautiful story because of how dynamic and polarizing the characters are yet fate brought them together. This story wouldn't work or be unique if ML was replaced by SML or FL was replaced by SFL.

If you are willing to be persuaded that whether happy or sad, the ending should fit the narrative that is being layered on by development in characters and plot, then I say it's really worth it. 

Is it only the ending that will be tragic? Or the drama overall is tragic? If it's only the ending then I can still watch the rest of the eps.

For me, the whole thing was unrelentingly tragic. She could never forgive the ML and neither could I. The tragedy is interwoven with the story so the writers stay true to it until the bitter end.  

Schmetterling:

For me, the whole thing was unrelentingly tragic. She could never forgive the ML and neither could I. The tragedy is interwoven with the story so the writers stay true to it until the bitter end.  

I get it now, I'm thinking of dropping it for now. But if I ever feel like watching something sad, highly unlikely, then I may think of starting it again. 

Personally, I think if we're counting, the tragedies are big moments but there are many more smaller sweet moments if you can get onboard the OTP.

I think the biggest tragedy happens very early on. The rest just plays it out with that specific tragedy hanging in the background -- it's very linear story telling. For the audience, their enjoyment of the rest of the series will depend on if you can love the Female Lead with her naivety and the Male Lead with all his flaws. Thus the rest can be either viewed as either tragic or justice. Your filter or viewing lens, romantic, political, historical is important.

I think the best way to enjoy this series is to live in the moment, not the characters' past actions or future outcome.

TofueToffee:

Personally, I think if we're counting, the tragedies are big moments but there are many more smaller sweet moments if you can get onboard the OTP.

I think the biggest tragedy happens very early on. The rest just plays it out with that specific tragedy hanging in the background -- it's very linear story telling. For the audience, their enjoyment of the rest of the series will depend on if you can love the Female Lead with her naivety and the Male Lead with all his flaws. Thus the rest can be either viewed as either tragic or justice. Your filter or viewing lens, romantic, political, historical is important.

I think the best way to enjoy this series is to live in the moment, not the characters' past actions or future outcome.

I love the FL, she is charming and lovable and even though I did like her chemistry with the ML but I just couldn't ignore how badly he used her so no, I don't like him. No matter his reasons, since what he did was unjustifiable at every cost, I don't think I'll ever be able to see him positively and neither I want the FL to ever took him positively, I'll get pissed if she forgives him or even get soft hearted for him. 

But maybe I'll change my mind while watching it, I read some spoilers before even starting it so I'm basing my opinion on that spoiler. 

I also didn't think what he did was particularly justified for her, but I guess I viewed it from his perspective historically and within his context from a broken/conniving palace, understanding his reasons through his character and the setting. But not everyone will accept it, I know.

Since you've read some spoilers: I think the drama unlike the book did a better job at making a lot of the situation / characters gray so I didn't think it was as tragic. The only pure flower in that bloodbath was the Female Lead, and that's where she makes her stand in this story with viewers behind her.

But you've probably made your decision and know yourself best of all. In the end, it's all entertainment so pick up what you will best enjoy or perhaps if you're in the right mood for it. :)

I did like the FL. And it was well written and acted. I’m just a big softie so my view is biased in that direction. 

Schmetterling:

I did like the FL. And it was well written and acted. I’m just a big softie so my view is biased in that direction. 

Everyone has their own dislikes and likes, and a different amount of limit for how much someone else/a character can push across the line. This ML did really push that line too and so it's not surprising that he's hated and/or loved, though that's what I found interesting about the story. I think that's fine.

I consider myself a softie too but watching so many MCs who can't take action and be ruthless has probably jaded me, lol.

TofueToffee:

Everyone has their own dislikes and likes, and a different amount of limit for how much someone else/a character can push across the line. This ML did really push that line too and so it's not surprising that he's hated and/or loved, though that's what I found interesting about the story. I think that's fine.

I consider myself a softie too but watching so many MCs who can't take action and be ruthless has probably jaded me, lol.

You are singing my song. : ) That’s why I am careful to recommend or discourage.  Dramas I loved some people hated.  And the opposite holds true as well.  

TofueToffee:

I also didn't think what he did was particularly justified for her, but I guess I viewed it from his perspective historically and within his context from a broken/conniving palace, understanding his reasons through his character and the setting. But not everyone will accept it, I know.

Since you've read some spoilers: I think the drama unlike the book did a better job at making a lot of the situation / characters gray so I didn't think it was as tragic. The only pure flower in that bloodbath was the Female Lead, and that's where she makes her stand in this story with viewers behind her.

But you've probably made your decision and know yourself best of all. In the end, it's all entertainment so pick up what you will best enjoy or perhaps if you're in the right mood for it. :)

I keep changing my mind on this, I'm giving it another chance bcoz I really enjoyed starting 9 eps, i decided to drop the next 3 eps where all the killings will happen but I'm feeling confused watching ep 13,the story has changed completely. I tried ep 12 and its still confusing. I guess I have no choice but to watch all the eps. 

I’ve been known to skip filler scenes.  But this one you can’t skip over or it will get confusing. 

Schmetterling:

I’ve been known to skip filler scenes.  But this one you can’t skip over or it will get confusing. 

You're right, I decided to skip only ep 10 and started ep 11 and I'm still not getting it. I wasn't expecting her parents to get dragged into this too. How did this all happen? I thought only her grandfather is going to be involved in this, I need to watch ep 10 to understand everything, in short, can't skip any ep lol.