Hey guys, I am currently looking for a drama with a solid historical background to it, preferably a drama set during the spring and autumn/warring states era. Thanks.

I am actually looking for something like this as well. I absolutely love historical dramas. I don't know if you've seen these but I would suggest Nirvana in Fire, Legend of Chusen, Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Shine or Go Crazy, Princess Man. If you know any historical dramas I haven't mentioned please tell me, I would love to watch them xd
I also would add Six Flying Dragons, Empress Ki, Eternal Love, Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People, Queen for Seven Days, Iljimae and Warrior Baek Dong Soo :)
Sound of Desert ,  The legend of qin , Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People ,Six Flying Dragons.
u can also try "The Princess Wei Young" . 
The Great Revival set in Spring and Autumn period, has pretty good reviews tho I haven't watched it. Also someone made a list awhile ago about which drama/movie set in what era: see list.

Spring and autumn era: The Qin Empire, Legend of Miyue (I don't like this one, but it depends on your taste).
Red Sorghum (2014) is an excellent one, it was set in Sino-Japanese War. Zhou Xun was perfect, also I love the character of Huang Xuan too.
About Nirvana in Fire, I would put in into the genre of fictional-historical, because it wasn't based on any specific dynasty (but it is a brilliant drama, I could see bitter facts in real life in NIF).
Another drama was set in Sino-Japanese War: All Quiet in Perking. Solid acting and storyline.
For saeguks, I would recommend Jumong (because it was a part of my childhood), Queen Seon Deok (I watched it when I was little, and until now it stands still the best saeguk I've watched).