Hi everyone~

I am taking a class on Chinese Modern History at my university and I thought why not combine studying with my drama addiction? I also wanted to try out a good Chinese historical drama for some time now, so this is a good opportunity! (I started Hua Mulan a few years ago, but I lost track of that one) 

So what are your recommendations for Cdramas set during late Qing(1860?) until 1940s? I'm not really a fan of very dramatic (makjang-esque) storylines. If it's a little historically correct that's also a plus! 

If you have recommendations for really good dramas set in another time, please tell me about those too!

Lastly, preferably only recommendations that have been subbed, as my Mandarin is still very much beginner's level... ^^;

Thanks a lot in advance!! <3

Ok so i have watched 5 so far and currently watching one and can recommend them all. I'm not too sure how historically correct the first 3 are but Battle of Changsha is definitely up your street (although modern-history).

For modern history:
Cruel Romance (Set in the 1930's)
Lady&Liar (Set in the 1930's)
Too Late To Say I Love You
Battle of Changsha (1938-1945)

For Imperial history:
Perfect Couple (Historical-Comedy (Ming Dynasty))
Nirvana in Fire (i'm currently watching it) (somewhere in the 500'sAD)

Not seen it yet but Scarlet Heart is meant to be good.

Please be aware though, i could only find Lady&Liar fully subbed up to episode 35. Although annoying, you can get by and can follow what's going on.
Thank you so much! ^^

I think I'll try to start with historically correct(for the sake of my course)! xd