Had the immortal act in the drama had more episodes like it was supposed to be before the malicious report that the author accused of plagiarized her book early this year and the stupid regulation delayed the release  then the stupid regulation after that, I would find it more superior than the OG storyline cause Susu was the only one who believed in Tantai Jin after Zhaoyou died.   

The original Susu was always suspicious with him even though she learned what happened after the tower sequence, his master death and her feelings for him grew until the end when she discovered he planned his death from the beginning to protect the common people and her.

Rubu99:
I think the early parts of the drama were the strongest.

I thought the same. For me, till episode 9, the story is the most solid and contain the most impactful events for TTJ development (the demon dream scene, the demonic cultivation, the escape, and the betrayal).  These episodes carefully reveal us what TTJ needs: freedom and peacefulness, a sincere companion(s) and a normal life. The mid part (after the dream arc), TTJ starts to pursue what he wants: power and love, a control over everything. And things go awry.  He doesn't get what he needs and wants. Negative character development. Bitter ending in moral arc.  Hard to watch.

The repeated misunderstanding is indeed frustrating. Misunderstanding/ miscommunication is over used romance trope. We are too familiar with this .  But, is there no room to learn something from the way misunderstandings are told? So, I will re-watch it, this time to track down where the misunderstanding starts from, how organic/ artificial/ forced its development, what factors around it, and the possible better alternatives (if any).  It would be fun!

Thingnguyen62:
Had

Lets move on.

I was rewatching episode 1 again and thought about some critical reviews of TTEOTM that took issue with the change in tone from setting up a tragic start to transitioning into comedy. First, we're shown the annihilation of the immortal sect by the Demon God 1.0  and Li Su Su a witness to all the destruction before time traveling back into the past to 500 years ago. She's then YXW and the tone shifts to comedy where she and her cutesy maid Chun Tao try to evade the bandits that were actually paid for to put on a show for XL to come to YXW's rescue. It was much more serious a situation in the novel where the threat from the bandits was real and it was TTJ who "rescued" YXW. 

Anyways, one of the criticism has been that YXW's reaction to TTJ when she first sees him is too light and not realistic given the trauma she experienced of seeing her clan being annihilated by Demon God (his potential future self). When I first watched the episode 1, the change in tone didn't bother me as much as it did some reviewers. I do agree that XW's reaction was muted. I wonder if YXW should have shown more signs of PTSD on seeing TTJ. Granted he was a weak and bullied mortal the first time she sees him. He definitely didn't have the Demon God's killing aura. Still there is a strong physical resemblance. I'm thinking how to better write this part of their first introduction in the drama? I don't know if perhaps YXW should have had a stronger physical reaction and showed more open fear and repulsion to TTJ in episode 1 & 2? I imagine that she might be re-traumatized again and again having to see and interact with TTJ. I guess the writers wanted to move on from this mental state sooner to get into the plot of the story.

Just musing on the changes in the opening from the novel to the drama. If they didn't have the comedic tone in the second half of episode 1 and instead went more suspense thriller tone, whether it would still be as popular with the audience? I think I would have been fine with the suspense, more serious tone continued on. I guess the story had to go a bit lighter again back at the start of the past to then go darker as we progress. I'm curious to how others felt about the change in tone partway through episode 1?

Rubu99:
the change in tone from setting up a tragic start to transitioning into comedy

You made me read psychiatrics articles, haha. I think, LSS/ YXW not having PTSD is not groundless. I read, "although exposure to potentially traumatic events is common, development of PTSD is relatively rare." Certain personality traits play as protective factor.  So, we should dig more into LSS personality as she is a typical strong female character

anitfa:

You made me read psychiatrics articles, haha. I think, LSS/ YXW not having PTSD is not groundless. I read, "although exposure to potentially traumatic events is common, development of PTSD is relatively rare." Certain personality traits play as protective factor.  So, we should dig more into LSS personality as she is a typical strong female character

Good points. LSS is an immortal and going to the mortal world as YXW, she would still retain the stronger immortal mentality amongst mortals. I would have loved if the drama also developed YXW/LSS' character as fully as TTJ. But TTJ had more growth potential between the two characters. 

The comedy tone shift was a bold choice. I'm just thinking in story-telling terms whether this is an appropriate choice or might lose the audience? I guess it depends on the story. For example, Harry Potter started light and then got darker in the series. I can't recall right now another story going from dark to light. Will think about this some more ... Thanks so much for the discussion! 

Rubu99:
The comedy tone shift was a bold choice. I'm just thinking in story-telling terms whether this is an appropriate choice or might lose the audience? I guess it depends on the story.

The character Chuntao (the maid) plays the biggest role in the shifting to comedy.  Her silliness, funny expressions, her understanding of spoiled YWX, and her synchronous actions with YXW's mischief, are the main ingredients of the comedy. The interactions between them makes me think about who is YXW before LSS takes her body. If YXW is really evil, YXW won't treat Chuntao as her sidekick, but slave, and makes her do nasty and dirty things (like King Geoffrey from GOT as reference). They are indeed master and servant, but more like friend. 

The story might be darker if Chuntao is characterized differently, maybe to be more intelligent, serious, and that she has her own ambitions (for money and power like common villainous servants). That is why she serves under YXW's wings and becomes her devil whisperer. We lack the real evil motives since the beginning in YXW and Chuntao. Therefore we still got a story about good and evil, but not necessarily a dark one.

For me, this choice is appropriate, because since the beginning, the story has a clear direction like any other romantic stories:  even in the battle between good and evil, the evil can always be overcome with the power love. It is such a repeated trope for love stories.  But, if the story takes more realism in approach and shows/ deals with the hidden dirty part of a kingdom, the ugliness of man, the societal issues and the moral dilemma involved in there, the comedy won't be acceptable. If a man must be broken, let him be broken till the end. Realism in Chinese Drama is relatively rare. General viewers are not ready yet for that kind of show. 

In the OG, Chun Tao was the newly innocent appointed maid where she was bullied by one of XW maids and her mistress.  After Susu took over her body, she started to have a better relationship with her and became her trusted confidence after XW dismissed her abusive maid.  During the war, Chun Tao noticed mistress cold behavior towards TTJ before she regained herself. The last we saw her was XW dismissed her for safety after the Ye clan was exiled.

EPISODE 4

Changing purpose, from to kill to to help, but the help is to control:
It is interesting to see how YXW/ LSS overcomes her struggle and opens up her mind to give TTJ a chance.  Yingxin's dream under the spell of dream plant demon becomes a window to peek into TTJ's history/ past life. YXW gets much softer toward him after learning his pitiful childhood and teen age. She grows compassion in her heart and stop blaming TTJ. She thinks finally she understand fully the "why" of Devil God: fate.

"Could it be that he became the Devil God because he was isolated for too long? Maybe he only became the Devil God due to the series of tragedies. ... If someone is willing to show him kindness and cared about him, would he have fallen on this devilish path? ... In TTJ's whole life, if only there was someone who truly loved him, and held his reins, maybe he wouldn't have been forced to devilize. ... Who can withstand such a painful life? If I can give him a hand, would he be able to live normally and not turn into Devil God?"

Therefore, she socializes more with him. She shortens their physical distance, initiates conversations, talks with him, praises him, gives him gifts, makes his life easier and happier, protects him from bullying, teaches him good things in life (like helping and having fun with other), etc. She gives TTJ a better life and love that he never gets before.

From this point onward, she has new purposes: to help TTJ to have a normal good life, and to control his fate with the love she gives. Those purpose are right considering all the things she finally knows, but unfortunately are only valid 'till the nightmare caused by the demon is over. YXW doesn't realize some things about TTJ's present self: his permanent longing for freedom, and emerging need for power. It is new development in TTJ's side YXW unaware of.

TTJ's history, from Cold palace to Ye Mansion, a story of imprisonment and a quest for freedom:
When he is still a newborn, he is only survived out of compassion and care from the two nannies. His father disowned and abandoned him as he is regarded as the killer of his own mother. He is known as a monster, and a bad omen (born with teeth and sucking blood), and not a normal kid (unable to feel basic emotions such as shame and sadness, and to shed tears). Because he is weird, he becomes target of bullying. Fortunately, he cannot feel, so that all of these tortures are not problem to him. Only food is the most important for him and his nannies to stay alive.

He lives his childhood in Cold Palace and in extreme poverty despite his status as a prince. Even though he is emotionless, he is able to understand Yingxin's suffering. He learns the impact of Lan'an betrayal to Yingxin's great disappointment. Later, in Sheng palace, as a hostage prince, he learns Yingxin's chronic unhappiness. Yingxin is always burdened by her own true feelings about TTJ (her disliking, resentment and fear). TTJ doesn't blame Yingxin though, because he is aware of himself as the cause of Yingxin's misfortune. 

At the moment he is more mature already and able to self-introspect, for the first time, TTJ has a problem. He thinks that getting out of the palace would be a good thing for them. But, how to get out from this palace. He doesn't have the answer yet. However, Yingxin makes the mistake by agreeing to kill TTJ by the order of TTML. So, he punishes Yingxin. When he is married to YXW and get out of the palace, he go to Ye Mansion without Yingxin. 

In Ye Mansion, he is still treated the same with restriction, humiliation, and torture. He is like an object to be used or disposed anytime.  But he is unwilling to follow others' evil plan, so he resists to play with their game. When danger is knocking again, he thinks about escaping from Shen Kingdom. He murders a person intentionally for the first time: Chief Wu who always threats him with Yingxin's life. From this point, we know why he doesn't bring Yingxin along to Ye Mansion. Either he cannot (because of Chief Wu) or he'd be better not to (because Ye Mansion is not a better place).

Conclusion: It is interesting to see how interrelated purposes of our main leads go to opposite directions. TTJ wishes to be loved and having a normal life. YXW/LSS and Ye Mansion now is ready to give him those, but TTJ now looks for his other need (power). YXW gives him love to control him from becoming devil, and to prevent his fate. But TTJ wishes to control his own life with his own power (not at the mercy of YXW or any other people), so he is escaping again. In the end, he is meeting his fate. I can't help but to think, if only YXW loves him unconditionally and treats him sincerely as her husband, maybe they can align themselves and work together.

This opposition of interests is the source of difficulties across the story. The initial relationship between TTJ and LSS exposes the meaning of "enemy to lover". They are in the phase of enemy, so lacking of communication, misunderstanding, accusation and blaming, prejudice and distrust, toxicity and hurt, are all predicted elements to happen. IMO, the course of the story would be easier if they share the same purpose earlier, so that they don't become opposing forces to each other (and it provides an opportunity for healthy romance). This drama is a fresh example, proofing that love is not one solution for all problems, that love itself as solution has limitation if a person needs more than love.

Thingnguyen62:

In the OG, Chun Tao was the newly innocent appointed maid where she was bullied by one of XW maids and her mistress.  After Susu took over her body, she started to have a better relationship with her and became her trusted confidence after XW dismissed her abusive maid.  During the war, Chun Tao noticed mistress cold behavior towards TTJ before she regained herself. The last we saw her was XW dismissed her for safety after the Ye clan was exiled.

Thanks for the input!

anitfa:

Thanks for the input!

No problem, I forgot to mentioned she also one of the few who see TTJ worthy to be her mistress husband 

EPISODE 5 Part 1

Need for power:
Some people said this drama is at its strongest in the early episodes. I agree and for me, it is episode 1 to 4. Zero plot error. The storyline is tight and every information we need to understand TTJ as a character is comprehensively presented. Episode 1 to 4 answer two questions: Who is TTJ? Why is he the way he is? From the perspective of three people: YXW, Yingxin, and Devil God.

These episodes wisely focus only on TTJ and provides us with a very satisfying introductory. It starts with mystery and ends with all riddle solved. In the end of episode 4, we know: TTJ's future and past, TTJ's in the eyes of people around him and his own self-perception, and TTJ's inner world and his outer appearance and attitude toward the world.

Episode 5 tell about TTJ's initial transition from powerless hostage prince to powerful Jing emperor. All starts with his acquaintance with power. Need for power is seemingly not TTJ's natural tendency as a human, but as a devil fetus who bear the devil bone. His need for power is inspired to him by the Devil God himself. The Devil God reveals him another secret:

"Your body can bear demonic powers. You can use their power. This power is what your body craves. It is more fun than emotions and desires, isn't? With the whip of power in your hands, you'll be the highest ruler of this world. This is the taste of power. Once you've tasted it, you'll never want to lose it again."

Interestingly, DG doesn't state that the purpose of this power is to enable TTJ doing whatever he wants, or more explicitly, to do harm and evil things. But, it is for him to be a great ruler. So, it makes me think that actually the essence of DG is really and only the embodiment of sin, not the source of the sin itself. In other words, sin is inherent property of humanity. The existence of DG is just the result of the sin, not vice versa. That is why his wish for freedom (as revealed in the end of the story) is pretty reasonable, because he is a bounded reality.

Luo Yunxi portrayed TTJ's shock, realization, amazement, and satisfaction, outstandingly. I wish I could post some pictures here: His eyes, his grin, his gaze to his hands, his deep breath when the first power he possesses is absorbed into his body, his curiosity, his first try of the power at his hand, his coldness, and his eagerness to gain more power, all are accurate depicting a person who is overwhelmed with new exciting experience. TTJ is so beautiful, but also creepy at the same time.

Potentials for power as a central theme instead of love: 

Most dramas usually treat power as the source of corruption or a tool for punishing bad people. This drama is no difference, but it brings out one additional theme: power is empowering for the weak. Finally, TTJ can do something for himself, for example: to gain information, to teach the bad people a lesson, to defend himself, to try having different life, to stop those people who always hurt him, and to firm his social standing. He uses his new power in effective way for his well-being. This way, from TTJ's perspective, we have impression that having power does not necessarily mean corruption. It is indeed ironic, because TTJ is the devil fetus, but he is more reasonable in using power than for example Jing and Shen emperors, and TTML.

What I feel rather disappointed, the power (as a positive aspect of life) is underexplored in this drama and is not used well to define TTJ relationships with other characters, especially YXW. It gravitates more to merely love, that love is the only solution we have, while we know that love in this drama are presented to be fake/ not sincere/ toxic one. Love is hardly a solution, but the real source of many problems. This drama starts with  a grand exhibition of power in negative way. For me, it is pretty natural to just flow with the initial theme, maybe that a good use of power, whether it is in term of hard power (cultivation, martial arts, military force) and soft power (knowledge, influence, reputation) can fix broken love relationships among characters.

In my opinion, YXW is not so important in shaping TTJ character development; she is not the one and only significant other for TTJ. She does not play the role of a good wife, a common source of support for man in ancient society, especially those with royal status. She doesn't influence TTJ in graceful and righteous manner as a dignified daughter of a great general and a person with sound morality (as she is now LSS). While she has everything to be a great woman, she doesn't use her  advantages. Instead, to make TTJ loves her, she uses deception. It is not an intelligent move at all.

I can't help but to think another great story with similar sense of threat: 1001 Arabian Nights. King Shahryar is told to be so evil after experiencing betrayal of his own wife. He execute a succession of virgins before she has a chance to dishonor him after their wedding. When more virgins are nowhere to be found for the crazy king, the vizier offers his own daughter, Scheherazade. Her strategy to evade death, to stop the craziness, and to make the king loves her at the same time is so intelligent. 

I can't help thinking, seriously, can't the author create YXW be that intelligent as well?

EPISODE 5.2

Analysis of the early misunderstanding in TTEOM:
It is unfortunate that we have limited imagination about what good female characters should be like. All drama have the same template for main female character: 1) Beautiful, 2) Kind-hearted/ compassionate, but 3) Less intelligent/ conscient, lacking a degree of self-abasement needed for self-correction. They always think they are the right one, in making decision or solving problems. That is why they are making mistakes repeatedly (from viewers perspective) and it is frustrating to watch.

Misunderstanding is a must ingredient for romance/ love story. It is an overused trope. It is trapping our characters in avoidable and unnecessary troubles, creating problems in storylines. Misunderstanding is frequently rooted in miscommunication. As I observe in drama, miscommunication can happen in several ways: 1) Misheard and not initiate more investigation, 2) Incomplete information, usually because you are too soon to leave when in fact you can stay longer, 3) Jumping into conclusion, because you are too biased or emotional, 4) Do not talk or talk too little to each other when talk is needed and not difficult to start.

TTJ and YXW do not talk to each other for a real information exchange. In many circumstances, YXW is the one who talk too much and dominating everything, whereas TTJ are left silent with his own inner thoughts, without enough room to speak up and to be heard.

Examples.

Knowing that TTJ's life is important for the fate of kingdoms of Shen and Jing (as told by Prince Lin), and she has been told that she is unaware of state matter, YXW doesn't use this valuable information to understand more about TTJ's view about present situation. YXW never use the opportunities and power she actually has to investigate what is happening in the court (the previous days she follows TTJ to the palace, right?), what danger TTJ is experiencing right now, in fact his status is too important to ignore.

When knowing that Chief Wu is dead because of wasp attack, she abruptly comes to TTJ and interrogates him. She accuses TTJ as the culprit using half knowledge she has about TTJ, the moment she has already known that the present TTJ is not Devil God yet. Even though, TTJ is indeed the one who commit the murder, he has a valid reason we all viewers understand. Why does not YXW become his partner in "crime" rather than his police?

TTJ is at the mercy of YXW. Is it difficult for YXW to question him about the matter that disturbs her the most? TTJ is secretive, but he is wary of her. Wouldn't he tell her the truth if she sincerely asks him? Is it difficult for YXW to honestly say "yes" when TTJ suspects her investigating his past through Yingxin? And, they never discuss their first shared experience together when they are under the influence of dream plant demon? They are like living in different worlds. The facts in the drama: YXW never asks him anything crucial for the story progression. 

Why? This may be the reason: The drama portrays YXW/LSS as being afraid of TTJ. There is no calmness and confidence in her behaviors. She is awkward and reactive in front of TTJ. The question next: Where do her previous courage go? The courage that makes her eyes bloody red and makes her scream in anger that she will kill Devil God for sure, before she undergoes time travel?

I notice, there is inconsistency in YXW's characterization, before and after time travel. I would believe and accept the misunderstanding if from the first place, LSS is depicted as so scared to Devil God, she is trembling, devastated, and she accepts the mission to kill Devil God with a shock and doubt. So, she is afraid too in front of mortal TTJ and has little confidence to approach him. But, she starts her debut as a hero, she is so brave, and so ready to do everything. Why on earth does she turn coward, indecisive, and double-minded? I imagine, if she is portrayed with consistency, bravery of LSS in immortal realm would turn into proactivity of YXW in mortal realm. LSS would definitely learn all advantages she has as YXW over TTJ and use it strategically for her favor and her mission.

Based on that, I thought that this misunderstanding is not natural because it comes from the writing of a character. Thus, we got forced miscommunication. It is like the miscommunication must be there just because it is what a romance should has. The miscommunication is not indigenous from the storyline or sequence of events happened in the story. The seed of sickness and toxicity in relationship between TTJ and YXW is there as early as episode 1, coming from YXW flawed characterization. If only the author maintain the consistency, the events in mortal would be differently better. At least, YXW would have stronger and more solid trust that TTJ is a good person.