Kimberly:

More bromance. I thought they should have eliminated the lead female that was Hu Ge's love interest just because I felt her role was so miniscule, as a love interest. But she was a bad ass general.

@Michia - really?? I thought he was so plain looking in Imperial Doctress and didn't really care for him..he did make me hate his character, so I'd say his acting skills would be on point lol 

do u have to watch NIF 1 before NIF 2?  

Michia Lei:

Actually Huang Xuan is a very good actor. Followed him after watching Red Sorghum (the drama version with Zhou Xun), his role Zhang Jun Jie along Zhou Xun's role Jiu Er have touched my heart, for the first time I've cried so hard for a drama.
I love Shawn Dou for the first sight because of his "toothpaste" smile XD His smile is so shiny, it warms my heart XD

I'm also a Shawn Dou fan after Princess Agent (which started well but ended up badly)

JoanneSmith:

do u have to watch NIF 1 before NIF 2?  

No. They are entirely 2 different shows with NIF 2 set about 50 years after NIF and there are some flashbacks to refer to NIF 1 but you can watch NIF2 without watching NIF1.

JoanneSmith:

Hows the romance factor in NIF?

Romance Factor is understated for these period dramas but you get the undercurrents.  2  couples - the loving relationship between Xiao Ping Zhang (Huang Xiao Ming) and his wife (Tong Li Ya)  and his brother Xiao Ping Jing and Li Xie. 

Lily T:

Here is how I would rank all 3 shows.

1. Nirvana In Fire 1 - Awesome cast, plot, dialogue and cinematography. It is a classic must watch!

2. Nirvana in Fire 2 - So far I've watched up to  ep 38.   New cast and totally new story line. More sad  and touching and very piognant.  Almost literature like.  It is good so far but NIF 1 is still better in my view.

3. Tribes and Empires - Great cinematography but poor plot development and too much gore and pace of the story gets draggy towards the end and the ending was senseless!

The Ending on T&E was cut in half. Because there is gonna be 2nd season. And i disagree on something. I think plot development is solid. It is going slowly and brilliantly very different than other c-dramas. It has great dialogues and great cast. Of course there are exceptions.  For example Pan Xi actress and Arch Prince Ye actor and also Su Yu Ning actress. They never impressed me with their talents. Shuofeng He Ye, Empress Nanku, Nanku Yue Li, and Suqin Clan's leader really impressed with their acting talents. I can't wait for second season.

i wasnt aware of a second season.  I thought it was strange that it ended so rush and hanging. 

I Havent watched Tribes and Empires, was meaning to do that because ive been reading positive review on it. But i was setting my self up with such high regard due to those reviews, and usually when that happens, I end being so disappointed. That happened for Princess Agents which started strong enough but just could not a hold candle to NIF. NIF was sooooo awesome.

I will be watching Triber and Empires soon, the  NIF2.

So thank you so much for this discussion. 

Lily T:

i wasnt aware of a second season.  I thought it was strange that it ended so rush and hanging. 

I think that's because we get used to the story ending after one season on Asian dramas. And another story being told on next season. I mean look at Game of Thrones on every season story gets cut in half. Because upcoming story gets told on upcoming season. I think that's why.

tarkan-san:

I think that's because we get used to the story ending after one season on Asian dramas. And another story being told on next season. I mean look at Game of Thrones on every season story gets cut in half. Because upcoming story gets told on upcoming season. I think that's why.

Actually the posibility to make the second season is critically low (because the producers still don't raise enough funds to make the drama).

I loved nirvana in fire and I love Tribes and empires... they aren't comparable in my opinion... they are just too different. They both were amazing !!!

Michia Lei:

Actually the posibility to make the second season is critically low (because the producers still don't raise enough funds to make the drama).

but there are usually at least 2 years between seasons on Asian drams. I think they can raise. And btw i heard ratings are good. So that helps too.

silvermcv:

Sadly, I don't think so. It was only a webdrama and it didn't have 10 billion views. It did good but it didn't do really good. Plus if they didnt manage the budget for the first half I doubt they could do it for the second one. It is a shame. 

http://avenuex.ca/blog/2017/12/10/so-what-happened-to-tribes-and-empires

Let's not give up hope. I am hopeful.

tarkan-san:

Thanks for explaining. Wish the producers would give clearer indications from the beginning so we know what to expect. Dragging a story to 90 episodes just to make more money ruins the pace of the show.  They shd just keep the shows to max 50-60  episodes so we could hv at lest 2 great period dramas per broadcasting station instead of 1 dragged out drama to fill the quota.  Advisor Alliance was wonderfully made and also had a nice ending for season 1 and I'm hoping Season 2 will be subbed before I start on it again.

Lily T:

Thanks for explaining. Wish the producers would give clearer indications from the beginning so we know what to expect. Dragging a story to 90 episodes just to make more money ruins the pace of the show.  They shd just keep the shows to max 50-60  episodes so we could hv at lest 2 great period dramas per broadcasting station instead of 1 dragged out drama to fill the quota.  Advisor Alliance was wonderfully made and also had a nice ending for season 1 and I'm hoping Season 2 will be subbed before I start on it again.

You are right. Maybe episodes could've been shortened. I think we have to get used to Chinese understanding of dramas.